FSSAI or the food safety and standards authority of India and it was established under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Indian Government. It is responsible for protection of the food safety and maintaining and regulating the standards of food.The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India was established in 2006 under Food safety and standards to maintain a good quality level of the food in order to ensure your safety and satisfaction to each and every customer across India. Food safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has consolidated numerous Orders and acts which handles food related issues. To implement particular set standards based on scientific experiments to create it up particular quality level for food and also to regulate their manufacture distribution and sale is the topmost priority of FSSAI. 20 standard based on scientific experiments helps in removing various toxic elements from the food to make it safe and of quality. The primary goal of the Food safety and Standards Authority of India is to maintain the public’s health. As it is a well-known saying that we are what we eat and hence, the food that we intake should be of quality and should not contain any hazardous products.
To keep in check the food quality of the newly emerged E-Commerce food operators, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India has extended its scope and issued numerous guidelines for the same. In 2018, this national food regulator issued revised guidelines to step up their methods of ensuring food safety of such E-Commerce food operators. The first and furthermost regulation for E-Commerce food operators is that they should be licensed to operate their functions. it is mandatory for all these e-commerce FBOs to obtain a licence from the central licensing authority of India to operate. In 2018, FSSAI issued some new guidelines. The food delivering companies are required to display accurate pictures of the food that is being marketed on their online platforms so that customers can easily recognise the said item.The FSSAI provides an authentic license to food operators according to a certain science based standards for articles of food, their storage, production, distribution, sale etc.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE REGISTRATION PROCESS FOR FSSAI LICENSE
Following is the list provided by the official website of FSSAI registration :
- Form-B Duly completed and signed (in Duplicate) by the Proprietor or Partner or authorized Signatory.
- Blueprint/layout plan of the processing unit showing the dimensions in metres/square metres and operation-wise area allocation (mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only).
- List of Directors/Partners/Executive Members of Society/Trust with full address and contact details (mandatory for companies only)
- Name and list of Equipments and Machinery along with number, installed capacity and horsepower used (mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only)
- Identity and address proof issued by Government Authority for Proprietor/Partner/Director(s)/Authorised Signatory
- List of food category desired to be manufactured. (In case of manufacturers)
- Authority letter with name and address, responsible person nominated by the manufacturer along with alternative responsible person indicating the powers vested with them viz assisting the officers in inspections, collection of samples, packing & dispatch (for manufacturers/processors)
- Analysis report (Chemical & Bacteriological) of water to be used as an ingredient in food from a recognized/ public health laboratory to confirm the potability (mandatory only for manufacturing and processing units)
- Proof of possession of premises. (Sale deed/ Rent agreement/ Electricity bill, etc.)
- Partnership Deed or Affidavit of Proprietorship or Memorandum & Articles of Association towards the constitution of the firm. (optional)
- Copy & certificate obtained under Coop – 1861/Multi State Coop Act – 2002 in case of Cooperatives
- NOC & Copy of License from manufacturer (mandatory for relabelers and repackers only)
- Food Safety Management System Plan or certificate.
- Source of mil or procurement plan for milk including location of milk collection centres (in case of Milk and Milk Products processing).
- Sources of raw material for meat and meat processing plants.
- Pesticide residues report of water in case of units manufacturing packaged drinking water, packaged Mineral water and/or carbonated water from a recognized public health laboratory.
- Recall plan wherever applicable.
- NOC from Municipality or local body.
Procedure for registration of FSSAI registration
1.The process for getting the registration for a FSSAI license is initiated by submitting Form A (application) to food and safety department of the government of India. It can be done online on the official website of FSSAI. This form needs to be duly signed and you can also take the help of an agent or a lawyer.
2.This application can be accepted or it may be rejected by the Department within 7 days from the application’s submission date and the fact has to be intimated to the applicant in writing by the concerned department. All the details and credentials are to be cross checked by the authorities and if they are found to be correct, then only the registration application is passed within a time period of about seven to ten business days.
3.If the application is accepted, then the department of food safety will grant a registration certificate with the registration number of the FSSAI license and the photo of the applicant.This registration number which is granted by the FSSAI ensures the legality of the food operator’s FSSAI license.
ADVANTAGES OF A FSSAI REGISTRATION
- 1.FSSAI not only helps in keeping in check the quality of food all over India but it also aids the country’s citizens to be more aware and alert about the food qualities and standards. The FSSAI Registration provides the general public with information regarding the food that they are consuming. All the nutrients and elements, present in both the packed food items or the fresh food items, are kept in check according to the set standards of food quality. The general public has access to this information about the food provided by those operators which have registered themselves with the FSSAI.
- The food license provided by the FSSAI actually helps a food business gain recognition in the market. It helps in creating a good image of the food brand if it has been registered with FSSAI. FSSAI Registration helps the food businesses to grow and make an impact in the market. Food market runs on reputation and market value. A food license which is provided after a food operator or a food business or an E-commerce food operator gets FSSAI Registration helps the concerned food businesses to grow their respective business in different directions as they gain name and reputation through the registration.
- Another huge benefit for all the food operators, food distributors and food agencies which comes along after the successful completion of the FSSAI Registration is that the FSSAI registered food services can easily get loans from the banks for business expansion. Funding of the food operators which are registered members of FSSAI also becomes an easier process when compared to the funding process of the food operators which have not registered themselves with FSSAI.
- The FSSAI Registered food entities get a logo which provides authentication to the concerned food operator. This logo is a symbol of food quality and signifies that the related food product has passed all the tests of the FSSAI and it is up to the quality standards of the FSSAI food quality ideal standard. The food operators who get themselves registered with FSSAI get a logo which enables the general public in the market ro recognise the brand. All the packaged food and other items are officially required to have an FSSAI number which is only obtained after successfully registering with the FSSAI. This logo provided by the FSSAI is seen as a mark of validity, authenticity and assurance by the consumers in the food market. In fact, some customers only want to consume food products specifically which have been provided the FSSAI registration logo ad number. It automatically helps in the making of a brand name.
- Most of the food businesses and food operators all over India think of getting an FSSAI registration as an expensive, time consuming and inconvenient process which includes a lot of documentation and even some nominal fees. This is the reason they try to avoid getting the FSSAI registration to obtain the official license. But actually the process is not so complex and complicated as it seems to look. There are a lot of consultancies that can help you get the FSSAI registration for the license with not much difficulty. The actual cost which is required in order to get your food business entity a FSSAI registered license is less than what it is to be paid in penalties to the government if your food operation company/firm is caught operating outside the FSSAI guidelines. It is thus stressed upon for any businessperson who runs a food related business operation or firm to firstly get the license approved after successfully registering with FSSAI before he/she can even officially open their business in the market.